As the one millionth word enters the English lexicon, the joys of our truly global language.
The one millionth word officially enters the English language next week.
Finalists for the one millionth English word
* Chengguan Urban management officers, a cross between mayors, sheriffs and city managers.
* Jai Ho! From the Hindi, “It is accomplished”; achieved English-language popularity through the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire.
* Mobama Relating to the fashion sense of the US First Lady, as in “that is quite mobama-ish”.
* Noob From the gamer community; a neophyte in playing a particular game; used as a disparaging term.
* Phelpsian The accomplishments of Michael Phelps at the Beijing Olympics.
* Quendy-Trendy British youth-speak for hip or up-to-date.
* Wonderstar As in Susan Boyle, an overnight sensation, exceeding all reasonable expectations.
* Zombie Banks Banks that would be dead if not for government intervention.